I got a couple of books by Alan G. Barbour from my father last week, Days Of Thrills And Adventures and The Thrill Of It All.
Both of these are basically the same kind of book, pictorial histories about b-movies from the 50s and earlier. One is about serials, the other is about westerns. What gets me that looking through is you could probably get more information on both these subjects poking around the wikipedia entries I linked in my last sentence as jumping off points than you could from these books. Finding the photos might take a little more time, because there are a lot of photos, but I'm going to guess that it wouldn't take much work.
They're still good books, with charm and fun, but I can't feel that the internet has supplanted these books that I remember from my youth. That makes me a little sad in a way.
No comments:
Post a Comment