I'll make a deal with you kids.
You lay off and let me get back to things at my own pace, and I won't kill you in ways that would make a cenobite squirm.
Have we got a deal there?
Because, seriously, the next motherfucker that points me in the direction of one of those "If you're not writing and publishing RIGHT THIS SECOND then you need to give up on the idea of being a writer" posts is going to find me swinging a tire thumper at them.
Allow me to explain something, I used to write all the time. I've got more drafts and redrafts than I have DVDs and I've got a lot of DVDs. The problem is, about three years ago, everything stopped working. Not just writing, everything. I must have lost about half the people I ever knew to death, moving and the inevitable changes of age. I'm not talking about vague relatives I almost never saw, or friends who were sort of on the outer edges. Close friends, close family. Lots of deaths, lots of leaving, and lots not being there for me anymore when they always had been in the past. A relationship that had been working pretty well suddenly stopped, then faltered, and then fell to the ground shattering into a million pieces. That sort of fucked everything that wasn’t already fucked, so… yeah, not the best three years ever.
Now, over the last year I've been trying to pick up the pieces, but it's been going damn slow and every slip on the track feels like sliding back to the start. So yeah, I haven't produced much writing in the last two years. Yeah, I've stalled on submitting the work I do have or even getting it edited into a shape where it can be submitted. I know I've been suddenly stopping projects that people were just getting into and halted on really interesting ideas before they got very far. I do apologize for that, because I like it when you are entertained by my works, however you must understand this has been a difficult time.
I've been busy trying to not throw myself off a bridge, is that a good enough reason? Do you suppose that maybe I could be cut a little, tiny bit of slack for that? Ya think? Maybe?
Your patience and understanding during this period is greatly appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment