Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Adendum

I'm going to make a new post instead of adding to the other post.

I've seen a few things that reminded me about a few other things about the movie, mostly things that would have gone into the "Got Right" column that need to be expressed.



1. The guy who played Chekov made him a lot more likeable than I thought he ever was in the series. Argue if you like, I always found Chekov a bit of an annoying Davey Jones look-a-like in the series. I actually thought he was amusing, fun and useful here. And I really like Karl Urban as Bones, even though the forming of the nickname was stupid because it's a take on "Saw Bones" which is an Old West term for a doctor and the show was being sold at the time as a western in space. Still, I liked Urban's portrayal. Pegg's Scottie was a little over the top, but he was still really good.

2. The exterior of the new ship, despite the fact that it looked to me like it had hair dryers for nacelles sometimes, was actually pretty good. Looked like the star ship equivalent of a muscle car.

3. It was exciting and entertaining. My problem is that I never ever got so caught up in the movie enough to not keep thinking about the problems involved or for them not to bother me. It's a delicate balance that will shift with each individual viewer, but the problems were like a stone in my shoe.

4. Besides the bridge, I liked the way the interior of the ship looked. All the pipes and tubes and things, somehow it looked really cool to me.

5. For all the complaints, the movie was still mostly okay. Not great, I don’t think it’s the best since Wrath of Khan, but it’s better than Generations or Insurrection. Faint praise perhaps, but there it is. Just because I outline problems with something, you should never assume I hated until I say "I hated it" because you'll be wrong on some level. I’m a critical thinker, and I can never stop thinking. Telling me to turn my brain off or not to think about things is the single most offensive thing I can think for anyone to say to me.

The second movie in the reboot will be better because a lot of the things I complained about will have already happened and can't happen again. Unless they decide to strip Kirk of his rank and then make him a captain again the same day they can't have him suddenly leap into a command position again. The Enterprise will still be the only ship in the area, because the Enterprise is ALWAYS the only ship in the area. Once you get over the idea that it's now the adventures of Captain Actionpants and his minority sidekick, it shouldn't really be able to spoil your enjoyment, particularly since you'll be one of the people who came back for another helping. If you really hated the new movie, I assume you won't give its sequel another chance to hurt you. I'm sort of wondering if Urban and Pegg are going to come back, they're getting popular and their schedules are only going to tighten after this.

I'm still troubled, but I'm not going to completely rule out another trip. However, if Kirk spends 30% of the movie's runtime dangling off precipices again like he did here (seriously, they're called SAFETY rails for a reason) I'll probably opt out of a third trip. Also, can we please, please, please, A) stop the daddy bullshit and B) NO MORE WIRE HANGERS TIME PLOTS EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment