I decided to buy a the blue ray of Schindler's List today. It looked bad, my having Valkarie and Inglourious Basterds on blu, but not that.
The kid behind the counter, who couldn't have been more than 18 or 19, commented on my film choice. I do so love it when people do that and have never once felt like picking up the movie and thwacking them upside the head with it.
"That's a good movie. Kind of depressing though." Okay, but your opinion isn't needed. I've had people present me with condoms, lube, suspiciously shaped objects and never once made a comment. They've even tried to break me sometimes, asking if I wanted to know what they were doing or telling me their intentions. I've always just said 'Okay' and when pressed for further comment have stuck to the line of 'I'm not here to judge. My job is to sell you these condoms, lubricant, twelve pack of light beer, and can of no-beans chili without comment, so that you can pretend that they're to be use separately and not shatter the illusion by subjecting us all to the thought that you are in for a seriously debauched night where in the chili will eventually go up the wrong end.'
I think I managed to convey this with my look, and then he adds to his problems by asking "Have you seen it?"
How do I answer your question young stripling? Yes, two years before you were even born, I saw it at the last show on opening night? That when the little girl in the red coat came out I thought for a moment than my eyes were just tired and I wasn't seeing what I was seeing? That when I showed the movie to Holly, we had to pause during the clearing of the ghetto because she began sobbing uncontrollably? That I had to hold her and soothe her and convince her to finish the movie so that what they were talking about in Conspiracy wouldn't just be some kind of abstraction? That I have suggested to people that this movie broke Steven Spielberg and that nothing he made after that was the same? That even to this day, I find it to be one of his most compelling films and it remains something I get sucked into watching every time I see that it's on? That I've actually watched it more than any other Spielberg movie besides Raiders of the Lost Ark?
Be a hell of a thing to lay on a kid, who is probably just trying to make some pleasant conversation. Not fair to him, not fair to me.
"Yeah." I said. "Yeah, I have."
Because I still hate talking to people, and I still hate explaining things to people.
No comments:
Post a Comment